FACILITY MAINTENANCE ASSISTANT
Facility Maintenance Assistant
Bemis Center is seeking a temporary Facility Maintenance Assistant to help ensure excellent operating condition of the organization’s buildings, grounds, and equipment. Applicants of all races, genders, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, national origin, and all other characteristics that make us different are encouraged to apply. Ideal candidates share our values of creativity, trust, courage, diversity, tolerance, and the open exchange of ideas and worldviews.
The Facility Maintenance Assistant is responsible for general repair, maintenance, custodial, and caretaking of all Bemis facilities and program spaces. The primary role is to perform skilled and semi-skilled tasks in the maintenance of the facilities, on the grounds, and other work as required through January 2021. The Facility Maintenance Assistant reports directly to the Building and Safety Manager. This is an opportunity to join an energetic and collegial staff at one of Omaha’s most unique arts organizations.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Ensure all cleaning, upkeep, and safety standards are maintained and efficiencies are discovered to provide a safe, secure, and comfortable environment for guests, staff, self, and others.
- Perform routine building maintenance duties including painting, minor electrical repairs, plumbing, carpentry, and heating and ventilation systems maintenance.
- Clean interior and exterior of the building, as well as machinery and equipment.
- Complete administrative duties such as filling out forms and reporting maintenance statuses to the supervisor and entering maintenance updates in the facility maintenance management system.
- Keep an inventory of maintenance and cleaning supplies and equipment and report needs to the supervisor.
- Clean work areas, machines, and equipment after use.
- Communicate and respond to emergency calls for maintenance and repairs.
- Diagnose and troubleshoot issues that pertain to facility maintenance and safety.
- Work with and maintain relationships with contracted vendors
- Work with the Building and Safety Manager to set-up and clean-up private and public programs and events.
- Maintain an open and candid working relationship with the Building and Safety Manager and Director of Operations.
- Adhere to established company values, practices, policies, and procedures at all times.
- Follow and support compliance with all applicable safety rules, laws, health regulations, and standards.
- Other projects and duties as needed such as art handling and preparatory work as needed; coordinating shipping, packing, and crate construction for artwork shipments.
- High School diploma or GED
- Ability to meet the physical demands of the job and work under the described working conditions
- 2+ years of experience in maintenance of HVAC, plumbing, electrical, carpentry, and mechanical systems (including relevant equipment and tools) is a plus
- Ability to conduct repairs and renovations including carpentry, plumbing, electrical work, etc.
- Ability to read and interpret safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and other manuals and documents
- Organizational skills and impeccable attention to detail and quality control of facility standards
- Clear and concise communication skills to effectively work with all employees
- Knowledge of technical operations and facilities management best practices
- Experience using Gmail, Google Calendar and Drive, and Microsoft applications including Excel
- Creative and strategic thinker with the capacity to take initiative and to work independently and as a team player in a fun, yet demanding arts organization
- Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends
- Understand and promote Bemis Center’s mission in a clear, spirited manner
- A successful reference check
Work is regularly performed in a combination of office and shop environments, sometimes outdoors and/or non-temperature controlled areas, and is regularly exposed to dust, odors, oil, fumes, and noise.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Must be able to talk and hear
- Must be able to stand, walk, use hands to handle and feel
- Must be able to repeatedly lift and carry a minimum of 40 lbs. without assistance, with the ability to lift up to 80 lbs. as necessary with assistance
- Must be able to reach above head and down to the ground while using hand tools, power tools, and other equipment
- Must be able to perform moderate to heavy manual labor
- Must be able to crawl, bend, stretch, and climb while performing routine tasks
- Must be able to work in non-temperature controlled areas throughout the year
- Must be able to drive a motor vehicle
Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience. This is a temporary, part-time position (20–30 hours/week) with the ability to coordinate a flexible schedule between Monday–Friday 8 AM–6 PM with the supervisor. A laptop will be provided.
For immediate consideration, please submit a one-page cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references to email@example.com with “Facility Maintenance Assistant” in the subject line.
Bemis Center for Contemporary Arts is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to creating a diverse environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.