WTOP News Associate Producer
WTOP produces a 24/7 live on-air news product. The Associate Producer works directly with WTOP's producers, anchors, writers, reporters and digital team to bring each hour's newscast to life in a way that is both factually accurate and engaging. The Associate Producer works as part of a diverse team to make WTOP News the leading provider of local and relevant news and information for the Washington, DC region.
- Coordinate and communicate effectively with anchors, writers, reporters and broadcast editors to ensure the on-air product meets WTOP's high journalistic standards and core brand attributes
- Ensure broadcast anchors have everything needed for a flawless broadcast, including reporter scripts and audio files
- Continually monitor producer's hourly newscasts/rundowns and screen all audio and scripts to ensure WTOP's quality standards are met
- Actively pursue news tips that come in via email, phone call or other official sources
- Monitor local/national news outlets, social media and email to make sure WTOP is on top of the most relevant and breaking news stories of the day
- Answer phone calls and emails from listeners, providing top-notch customer service from WTOP
- Book interviews with newsmakers and sources to discuss the top news of the day live on-air
- Repurpose and edit live audio for later use
- Help develop story ideas for reporters to pursue
- Write news stories and edit audio files. Ensure broadcast news copy is accurate and balanced using sound news judgment. Copy must be clear and interesting, and executed under tight live broadcasting deadlines.
- Maintain awareness of the latest local news and top national/international stories of the day at all times
- Contact affiliates and news sources for interviews and information
- Help deliver news with a sense of urgency 24/7
- Communicate effectively with the digital team to share new information on stories WTOP is covering and opportunities to tease to WTOP's digital platforms
- Other duties as assigned
-Degree in Journalism, Communications, or related field
- 1-2 years professional experience in the broadcast news industry (radio or television preferred)
- In-depth knowledge of local D.C. news market, preferred
- Excellent news judgment and knowledge of current events at the local, national and international level
- Understanding of the importance of utilizing sound bites, nat sound and other audio in newscasts
- Ability to work quickly in breaking news situations and handle stressful situations in a calm manner.
- Ability to multitask, work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Strong leadership and communication skills
- Strong writing and interviewing skills
- Knowledge of newswire services
- Knowledge of Adobe Audition, Burli, and Wide Orbit, preferred
- Project an appropriate and professional appearance and demeanor
- Ability to work in compliance with company policies and procedures
- Ability to function well in a diverse team environment
- Report to work on time. Ability to work weekdays and weekends. Must be able to work early morning, midday, evening and overnight shifts.